Wednesday 17 July 2013

Jelly Baby Bribery

The end is in sight!

Since this didn't happen, apparently I'm nearing the end of the mothering-small-children stage of my life and I'm starting to realise just how much good can come of the closing of this chapter.

I could study. Figure out who I actually am and not base it on what I am to everyone else...

The future is starting to blossom with possibility!

However there is one thing that needs to be done before I can say that I have released all my chicks in to the world - or at least into some form of daycare...

I have to toilet train Blossom.

Now, some of you might remember my attempts at toilet training The Frog and the hilarity that ensued. I have actually come to the conclusion that only one thing will actually get the minions to start paying attention to what is happening in their pants and contemplating just where it should be going: Jelly Babies. (or jelly beans, or chocolate drops, or yogurt raisins as SimaJ suggests)

Now, I realise that this falls under the category of bribery and corruption and that, in some circles, this is considered bad parenting. But honestly, I don't aim for "good' parenting, just effective parenting. And this happens to be very, very effective.

My kids don't get tons of junk. It's rare that they get lunchboxes with stuff like yogurt or muesli bars, packets of chips or fruit rolls (aka sweets/lollies). Not because I have anything against food like that, but because sandwiches and fruit are more cost effective. And so any form of sweet, lolly etc. etc. is a huge treat.

The promise of one jelly bean will effect great deeds. Like peeing on the toilet. It encourages certain little minions to remember their bladders and other minions to run down the hall with them to make sure they get onto the toilet without falling in.

Bonus. It's a win-win situation. And all it cost was a $4 bag of Jelly Babies.

I predict that day nappies will be a thing of the past by the end of the school holidays.

2 comments:

  1. I HATE toilet training....with a passion!
    Do what ever you need to to get it done...jelly beans in all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. go you! nothing wrong with a bit of bribery and corruption in parenting!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your thoughts!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...