Sunday 24 February 2013

Sunday Sermon Share: Faith Catalysts - Practical Teaching

Luke 6:46-49 NLT "So why do you keep calling me 'Lord, Lord!' when you don't do what I say?
I will show what it's like when someone comes to me, listens to my teaching, and then follows it.
It is like a person building a house who digs deep and lays the foundation on solid rock.
When the floodwaters rise and break against that house, it stands firm because it is well built.
But anyone who hears and doesn't obey is like a person who builds a house without a foundation. When the floods sweep down against that house, it will collapse into a heap of ruins."


We at Elim North were very blessed to have Pastor Bob Lawson teach us today. This man is a great speaker and has a passionate heart for ministry and mission work.

Today's sermon was the second in Elim's Faith Catalysts Series and dealt with foundations.

In my notes I scribbled in a column: What is the foundation of your life? What satisfies your soul?

sidenote: if you're wondering whether tonight's tv program or next weekend's major sporting event might satisfy your soul, be aware, we're aiming deeper here. Read this for an explanation.

Our foundation and our lives should be based in God's Word. The Bible, the highest grossing bestseller of all time, the most translated, and is rumoured to be the most stolen book in the world.

Even if you haven't given your life to Christ, the Bible is full of concepts that will guide you in living a life of integrity and strong character, but I believe it is so much more than a guidebook to living a good life. It's a faith-fueler. 

Anyway, Pastor Bob explained these 6 steps to building a solid foundation:

1. Hear God's Word

Romans 10:17 NKJV Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

(my notes: read it out loud. Pastor Bob mentioned that reading it our loud can sometimes help it to stick. How many times have I read on 'auto-pilot'? Especially right before bed!)

2. Read God's Word

2 Timothy 3:16 NLT All scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right.

3. Study God's Word

Acts 17:11 NLT And the people of Berea were more open-minded than those  in Thessalonica, and they listened eagerly to Paul's message. They searched the Scriptures day after day to see if Paul and Silas were teaching the truth.

*Studying the Word for yourself is the only real way to ground yourself in your faith, I know too many people who blindly trust everything they hear or read. I've had Pastors in my life who preached a rather warped version of scripture (for a long time I couldn't trust the way I interpreted it myself because of the strange filters in my own head as a result) and then I've had others who urged me to test everything against the Word. Guess which ones I trusted more? 

4. Memorize God's Word

Proverbs 7:2-3 NKJV Keep my commands and live, And my law as the apple of your eye. Bind them on your fingers; Write them on the tablet of your heart.
Psalm 119:11 NLT Your word I have hidden in my heart, that I might not sin against You.

*Ok, so here's the thing, there is a perception out there of christianity as a religion full of rules and laws. It's actually not. It's a way of life founded in love. The two most important commandments in the Bible are: Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind and love your neighbor as yourself. 

5. Meditate on God's Word

Psalm 1:2-3 NLT But they that delight in the law of the Lord, meditating on it day and night. They are like trees planted along the riverbank, bearing fruit each season. Their leaves never wither, and they prosper in all they do.
Joshua 1:8 NLT Meditate on it day and night so you will be sure to obey everything written in it. Only then will you prosper and succeed in all you do.

*I don't know anyone who doesn't want to prosper and succeed, do you? 

6. Do God's Word

James 1:22 NLT But don't just listen to God's Word. You must do what it says. Otherwise you are only fooling yourselves.
Matthew 5:19b NIV But whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
John 13:17 NIV Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them.

*Please note that the paragraphs with the * next to them are my musings and aren't necessarily what was taught in the service today.

Lastly, Pastor Bob, towards the end of the service, spoke on this verse. 
Luke 16:10-12
New International Version (NIV)
10 “Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much. 11 So if you have not been trustworthy in handling worldly wealth, who will trust you with true riches? 12 And if you have not been trustworthy with someone else’s property, who will give you property of your own?

And this really spoke to me. Odd that the verse that wasn't even in the sermon notes is what resounded with me the most. I truly feel that God is entrusting much to Pieter and I in this season of our lives. 
Four kids???? Seriously? 
I am firmly of the belief that our kids are not truly ours, they belong to God and we are merely stewards of His treasures. I'm over-awed that He trusts us enough to give us yet another treasure to love. 


1 comment:

I love hearing your thoughts!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...