Friday 22 October 2010

Making a VOLCANO!


The Jord is having a blast today! He's asked if he can make a volcano.

 We've made a papier mache solution. Well, I'm hoping this works anyway! But flour, water and strips of newspaper.




I made the Jord tear up the newspaper. The poor kid thought it would take only one or two newspapers... Haha - no child. There's alot more work to it than that!

Then I made him soak the newspaper in a bucket. It's actually The Man's fishing bucket - sorry babe. I promise to make him clean it..

The Everything Kids' Science Experiments Book: Boil Ice, Float Water, Measure Gravity-Challenge the World Around You! (Everything Kids Series)And he also had to mix the flour in. No way was I getting flour paste all over me... NO WAY!
We made a funnel out of toilet roll inners taped together and the kid is currently packing newspaper around it - to make the bulk of the mountain..

He asked me if it would erupt, I said: Not today. Then I asked him how he thought it would actually erupt. He told me that I would make a 'potion' and then stuff would come pouring out


Anybody have any ideas as to how to make the potion?

He also wants it to 'shake' while it's erupting. He can shake it. I'll be busy worrying about the potion!

Seriously though - about that potion. I need help!

PS: Just tried the vinegar and baking soda version of 'potion' the eruption lasted all of 5 seconds. Any other ideas?
Science in Seconds for Kids: Over 100 Experiments You Can Do in Ten Minutes or Less

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your thoughts!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...